Pont Marchand's Plaque
Région administrative :
- 1998 – (Installation)
Objet de la commémoration :
Thèmes commémoratifs :
Pont Marchand "Mansfield"
In 1898, Mr. Augustus Brown of Beachburg, Ontario constructed the Marchand bridge for the sum of $6,000. The contract was signed on January 3, 1898. By March 15, crossing the bridge was possible. Construction was completed by May 1, 1898. The wood, to build the bridge, was hauled by horse from The Glen, Ontario via the ice bridge in Waltham, Quebec. Over the years, the locals have come to refer to it as the "Red Bridge".
The bridge has withstood some trying times, and, as a result, it has been through several restorations, starting in 1939, when its cedar shingle roof was replaced by a tin roof.
In 1964, the bridge was in such poor condition that dismantling it was considered. Three local men, Dr. H.R. Rabb, Mr. Hugh Proudfoot and Mr. Dean Rogers, initiated the "Save the Bridge Association". They received grants from the Federal and Provincial governments and donation from the community. In 1966, the rotted piers were replaced and the bridge was raised, repaired and painted, so that it could be put back in use. This was achieved with the funds raised and by hard work of volunteers.
In 1972, with a $50,000 grant, major renovations were underway, which included the replacement of the tin roof and the wood siding. Spring flooding temporarity interrupted the project due to a log jam near the bridge. At this time, logs were floated down the Coulonge river. "Boom timbers" were used to guide the logs through the gap under the bridge, where they were sorted. Fearing that the bridge would be destroyed it the log jam gave way under the pressure of the water, steel cables were extended across the river to help retain the wood.
In the spring of 1979, the bridge was in jeopardy when an early thaw caused the water to rise suddenly. Unlike 1972, there were no "boom timbers" to withhold the logs because the log sorting was done further downstream near the mill. Since the bridge was not elevated high enough the logs could not pass, hence creating a devastating log jam. The force of the water pushing on the wood caused the bridge to shift several feet. The work was completed in 1980 and it was reopened.
In the fall of 1997, the piers were replaced. Consequently the bridge was closed to traffic from September to December. The repairs cost $429,200 and were founded by the Quebec government.
As to the origin of its name, opinions differ. Some say that it was named in honour of the liberal deputy, M. Felix-Gabriel Marchand. Others say it was from the French word "marche" meaning the walking bridge.
Presently, it is the second longest covered bridge in Quebec measuring 151.59m (497'3") in length and 5.56m (13'9") in width. It is constructed entirely of pine.
In 1989, The Pont Marchand was officially declared a historical monument by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs of Quebec.
Maître d'oeuvre :
- Entreprise privée
|Classement||Situé dans un immeuble patrimonial||Ministre de la Culture et des Communications|